Marijuana is often and erroneously considered a harmless drug because it is extremely unlikely to overdose on it, even when used frequently. However, marijuana and the chemical compounds of CBD and THC can and do cause health issues in many users. Specifically, health consequences can arise in the form of marijuana withdrawal symptoms that can occur when a user attempts to stop using the drug abruptly.
Marijuana withdrawal symptoms can include the following and more:
- Uncontrollable mood swings that tend to include bouts of anger and aggressiveness.
- Strong paranoia like the feeling of being watched.
- Newly onset or worsened insomnia and night terrors.
- Complete loss of appetite, especially in users who always took marijuana before eating.
- Chronic fatigue, exhaustion, and/or wandering thoughts.
- Depression or worsened depression to the point of being unable to continue day-to-day life.
- Stomach pains, nausea, and vomiting.
- Full body shakes, sweats, and tremors for seemingly no reason.
In the average marijuana user, withdrawal symptoms will begin within 5 to 7 days after the last dose was taken. Most report that the symptoms become severe within 5 days after that. Withdrawal symptoms can take another 7 to 10 days after the peak to start to recede, so withdrawal should not be taken lightly.
How Can Marijuana Withdrawal Be Mitigated?
An effective way to mitigate the symptoms of marijuana withdrawal is to undergo medical detox treatment at the start of a drug addiction rehabilitation program. Medical detox for marijuana users will involve gradually lowering the amount of CBD or THC the patient consumes each day, rather than stopping all at once or “cold turkey.” The substances used in medical detox are highly controlled and specifically created for that purpose, too, so patients do not need to worry about taking an unknown “strain” of marijuana. It will be safe for detox use.
If you have questions about marijuana detox or need help fighting another type of substance addiction, you should reach out to a local recovery center today. For people living in Georgia, Mount Sinai Wellness Center is the go-to place and team for comprehensive and compassionate recovery options. Contact us today if you would like more information.