Why It’s Necessary to Have People by Your Side During Recovery
When it comes to recovering from addiction, community can make all the difference. Addiction can feel lonely and isolating as it is, and knowing you have people by your side who love and support you can help ease some of that loneliness.
Since everyone’s recovery journey is unique, everyone’s support systems will look slightly different. Your support system network may include:
- Members from organizations you attend (such as a club, sport, or church)
- 12-step programs
- Recovery programs (like us!)
- Peer support groups
To learn more about finding support systems that work for you, don’t hesitate to contact Mount Sinai Wellness Center. Give us a call (800) 353-4673.
Connecting with Support Systems
When beginning your recovery journey, it can be difficult to know where to start. Connecting with a support system is a great first step. This will establish trust between you and others you feel comfortable talking to about your struggles. As stated by the National Council for Mental Wellbeing, some ways to start connecting with support systems that’ll benefit you include:
- Reaching out to friends and family members.
- Using technology (FaceTime, texts, phone calls, etc.) to connect.
- Searching for peer support groups like AA, NA, MM, SMART Recovery, or Dual Recovery Anonymous.
- Asking for help when you need it.
Supporting Loved Ones During Recovery
If you have a loved one who is currently on their recovery journey, there are certain things you can do to show your support. Recovery can be challenging, and your loved one will feel less alone in the process with you by their side. If you’re wondering how you can support loved ones while they’re recovering from addiction, here are some tips:
- Educate yourself on rehab and addiction.
- If your loved one is in an inpatient recovery program, ask about visiting hours.
- Write letters, send texts, make calls – essentially, reach out whenever you can.
- Create a clean, cozy, healthy environment for your loved one to return home to.
Recovery helps those struggling with addiction increase their self-esteem, reconnect with friends and family, continue to chase their dreams, and inspire others to seek help. Gentle reminders of these benefits of recovery may also help your loved one feel more confident in maintaining their sobriety and wellness goals.
Reach Out to Mount Sinai Wellness Center for Professional Support
One of the most common reasons for relapse is lack of support. That’s why it’s so crucial to have people you can turn to when you need a little extra help. At Mount Sinai Wellness Center, we are happy to provide support whenever you need it, and we can help direct you to other support systems that can help you stay on your sobriety track.
For more information regarding the importance of support systems, or to seek additional advice, please reach out to us at (800) 353-4673.
At Mount Sinai Wellness Center, we are here to help you reclaim your life.